18.5.14

RAPUN:Zel_01

EDIT 01/06/14: I didn't win :(

This is a painting I did for a competition called Once upon A Time... In Space! over at CGMA. The idea was to take a classic fairytale and create a science fiction type scene. I chose Rapunzel because I knew it would be a challenge, and I wanted to create something quite dark and moody - so themes of captivity and isolation seemed to work well with that idea.




You had to submit a description with the work so here's mine. 

"RAPUN:Zel-01 kneels motionlessly in the confines of its solitary prison, waiting. The subject of a forgotten experiment, it clutches the refuelling tubes in desperation. Acutely aware that they are the only connection to the unknown world below, it eagerly anticipates the next unknown visitor."

The idea is that this forgotten experimental droid has worked out how to lower its refuelling cables to attract attention and let up passers by, who it can then learn from.
I wrote the description before I started the piece as a sort of brief for myself. I had tried a few ideas and compositions before settling on this one, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. There's a few issues but I didn't have very long to finish this as the deadline is on the 20th of May!

Here's a brief overview of my process. This is the first time I've done an actual painting so I'm pretty pleased with it. As it's for a competition I kept with my own style and a process I've used before to put my own mark on the image.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...